Skip to main content

StreamLINE Artist Feature & Interview: GRIFFIN

StreamLINE Artist Feature & Interview: GRIFFIN

Hi everybody, hope you enjoyed your weekends! We're starting off this Manic Monday with a fresh installment of our Interview Series featuring the multi-talented and rapidly emerging recording artist Griffin.



We had the treat of chopping it up with Griffin and touching on his background, music journey and stories behind his expanding catalog of music and recent releases. Read on to learn more about Griffin and what sparks his creativity.



- Hi Griffin, Welcome to StreamLINE! Thank you for taking some time out to speak with us about your artistry and music career. We’re looking forward to our audience learning more about you. Thank you for sharing your story. We appreciate it!

- Please tell us a bit about your background, where you’re from etc.  What were your early music influences?

I am from Orange County, California. I was born in New Jersey, but I have lived in California all of my life. I grew up in a very musical household. My father is a pianist, and my mother was in show choir for most of her adolescent life. My earliest influences were hip-hop mostly. My mother loved Eminem and Biggie. But I really grew up on classical and jazz. I would sit and listen to the Moonlight Sonata on loop for hours trying to figure out the math that inspired the progressions. It was beautiful to me. There is something magical about the way that music can inspire emotion and logic at the same time. The complexity of the composition. It really is awe-inspiring to me. 



- What was the defining moment or time in your life when you decided to pursue music on a professional level?

I haven’t been making music for very long. A year ago, I couldn’t play any instruments let alone arrange entire sections. But I have always heard music in my head. My entire life I have heard orchestral arrangements, pop-inspired instrumentals, or quite literally anything else. My brain loves to compose. But the thing is, until last year, I never knew how to express those thoughts. From the moment I first sat down at the keyboard I have been in love and I see pursuing music professionally as a way to consummate that love. 



But to answer your question, it was about 6 months ago. After I first arrived at American University last fall, I had a sudden realization that the things I was studying (at that point I was double majoring in history and political science) were not that the things that I really cared about anymore. Music had taken over all aspects of my life that mattered to me. It was ubiquitarian and all-permeating. I had seen the light - and there was no way in hell I was venturing back into the darkness. 



- How would you characterize your sound and what inspires your creativity? Is it actual life events/experiences or just a vibe that you get?  

That is a wonderful question. My sound is characterized by two main things: my influences and my perspective. I know that sounds incredibly obvious but let me explain. My music is the purest expression of self I have to offer.



When I write a song, I break down every wall. Whether that means composing, producing, writing, or performing. I have to explore a piece of myself that I am uncomfortable with or that I don’t fully understand. Because if I am able to do that maybe someone else can find that introspection in themselves through me. When I sit at the piano, I endeavor to discover myself through music.  



- Please tell us more about the Til Death project from last year. What inspired the title and what was the recording process like? What song from the project personally resonated with you the most?  

Again, that is a wonderful question. So, Til Death was quite the undertaking. I made the album in a sort of frenzy. The entire album from inception to completion was done in one week. I didn’t sleep for days. It was an all-consuming process. But the hardest part was recording. This album represents a piece of my soul that I lost.



When I love somebody, they become a part of me and when they leave, they take that piece with them - however, they also leave a piece of themselves behind. Til Death was my way of dealing with the residue of her. The shattered remains of my heart and the mental state that resulted from the crash. That’s where the title comes from - Til Death - a classic trope representing eternal connection. I view the album as a salute; it was my final goodbye to someone whom I shared a part of my life with.  



Now the final part of your question is more difficult. Every song I write resonates with me as they all bear a portion of my being. I am always exposing myself in a way that I am uncomfortable with - which is the reason why I love music. But if I had to pick one, I would say “slam the door.” It wasn’t the most popular song off of the album nor was it the most complex song on the album; but for some reason, that song can spark emotion in a very unique way. I am not a singer, nor have I ever claimed to be. But my voice is my only innate instrument. And if I deny myself the full use of that instrument that I am failing in my artistry. Because of this, I do sing to a degree on this song, which was a very scary thing for me. Especially since this was my first EP ever. Exposing myself in that way was very difficult for me and honestly terrifying - which is extremely apparent in the vocals. The pain I was feeling in that moment is tangible. And that is why I connect with that song on such a deep level. 



Til Death

Listen to Til Death on Spotify. Griffin · Single · 2021 · 5 songs.







- Congrats on “good day”, your first single of 2022! We reviewed the single and are looking forward to the album release it will be included on. What can we expect from the upcoming “Psyche” album in terms of production and song concepts?

The conceptual framework of “Psyche” is very simple: intense exploration of my deep mind. The production on this album is going to be spacy and jarring. Melody and harmony are typically the backbone of my music, providing the full soundscape that makes for a true, complete experience and those elements are apparent in this project.



However, every time I take on a new project, I try to find a different perspective and a different way to approach it. And as a result of that, this project is a departure from my last - both sonically and lyrically. In my capacity as producer of this album I explore a very experimental sonic universe. I tried to really reach outside of the box in all ways possible. Whether that's my mixing techniques, flows, or compositional styles. I really tried to leave everything I knew behind.   



good day

Listen to good day on Spotify. Griffin · Song · 2022.







- What’s the best advice you’ve been given; either personally or professionally?

The best advice I have ever received is this: “Mind over matter.” Its a phrase my mother used to repeat every single day to me. I think about that phrase everyday. Its so simple but unlocks everything. Once you realize how to control a situation that situation surrenders to you. That is a sentence that changed my life. 



- As a triple threat singer, songwriter and producer, which aspect of your artistry is most rewarding to you or are all three aspects equally satisfying to you? 

That is too hard to pick. Every aspect of musicality is different and special in its own way. Writing provides an immediate, conscious release. It's extremely cathartic. However, instrumentation provides a much more emotional experience. Every chord tells a story, and every note paints a picture. But singing/rapping is different. It requires real, conscious effort to perform the lyrics in a synergistic way with the track. So, to sum it up I really can’t pick. 



- What is the best concert or theatre performance you have ever attended in person and why? 

The best concert I have ever attended was a performance of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons concerto. I can still hear the strings playing in my head. There is something truly inspiring about the way that he interpreted and personified such an ambiguous and lifeless concept. That is one of the reasons I fell in love with music. It is truly powerful.  



- What activities do you enjoy outside of your music endeavors?

At this point in my life I don’t do much outside of music. At least, I try to spend as much of my free time doing it as possible. But on the rare occasion that I venture outside of the realm of musicology I typically spend my time either reading, writing, or building. I live my life to explore so I spend most of my time alone doing that. 



- We love to hear what other recording artists are vibing to. What are a few songs that are personally on repeat for you or at the top of the pack in your personal playlist?

So for me that’s a really loaded question. I spend most of my day listening to music. If you ever see me I in public I would bet you anything my headphones are in. I just find life more colorful when it comes with a soundtrack. So I’ll just give you some of my favorites. When I am driving down PCH with the windows down I am always blasting Mahogany by Lil Wayne. But when I am trying to get inspired its either Frank Ocean’s Novacane or Mac Miller’s Star Room. And in between there’s a mix of Earl Sweatshirt, Anderson .Paak, Tyler the Creator, and 6LACK to name a few. 



- Aside from the upcoming album project, what else is in store musically for you in 2022? Any collaborations, features or live shows on the horizon? 

I actually would love to perform at a festival, so I have began reaching out to people who would potentially be able to play for me!  I doubt that would be 2022, but maybe '23?  
 
As for 2022 I want to collaborate, get media exposure, and I have 3 singles already in mid-production. There are a lot of things in the works. But the largest project of 2022 is going to be the launch of Flower Kid. Beyond that there are a few other projects that examine other chapters of my life but 2022 looks like it's going to be a great year for music generally. There is so much talent out there and I am so excited for the journey ahead of me as both an artist and as a person.   



Connect with Griffin



- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/flowerkidrecords/

- Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-988585869-357004888
https://streamlinemusicblog.com/2022/01/24/artist-feature-interview-griffin/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

StreamLINE Music Review : LifeSpiral-MJR - "Chance Meeting" ft. YUPE (Rock/Pop/Alternative)

"Chance Meeting" is the latest single release by the internationally seasoned band, LifeSpiral-MJR. The eclectic band was established in 2011 by MJR, who himself is an acclaimed guitarist, composer and producer. This latest masterstroke of a composition is a wondrous collaboration with YUPE, who is a famed Japanese composer and producer. "Chance Meeting" captures the signature rock/pop/alternative fusion sound that makes the music of this band so appealing, while it also incorporates a traditional Asian-inspired instrumentation as presented so glowingly on previous singles like Dream Sakura , La Gloria and a song we covered recently Samurai Rock . Intriguing is a word that first comes to mind when defining the sound overall. It definitely holds an unmatched uniqueness and maintains a musicality that music lovers will gain an appreciation for. When asked how the idea and concept for "Chance Meeting" came together, MJR shares that the band " had approa

CHRISTINA AGUILERA PRESENTS LA LUZ The Final Chapter Of AGUILERA

NEWS PROVIDED BY SONY MUSIC Global superstar Christina Aguilera releases the final chapter of her AGUILERA project, La Luz. The third EP features a moving spoken-word intro and an all-new track “No Es Que Te Extrañe” along with the official music video, co-directed by Aguilera herself.  (YouTube link below) This emotionally charged power ballad marks the end to her deeply personal and captivating AGUILERA album, showcasing her like never before. Fans from every corner of the world will be entranced by the meaning and message behind the EP. “No Es Que Te Extrañe” is now available on all streaming platforms. Aguilera’s vocal prowess and emotional depth are on full display in this deeply moving power ballad. The first act of the song is a tender ballad complete with acoustic guitar accompaniment, which is brilliantly juxtaposed with an intense and entrancing second act characterized by a heightened ferocity and quickened tempo. Co-directed by Mike Ho and Aguilera and produced by Colin R

[Exclusive Interview] Acclaimed Director Kensuke Kawamura Reveals Behind-the-Scenes of His Music Video Production for ARASHI!

ARASHI Fans! He also unveils the original plot and unpublished storyboards of the music video for a song that you'd never imagine. Kensuke Kawamura, the director of the music videos and commercials, talks about his music video direction for ARASHI. Kawamura has directed music videos for numerous major artists in Japan and commercials for large corporations such as Coca-Cola, Asahi Beer and Nikon. He has won several awards at the prestigious Japanese music festivals such as VMAJ and MVA . — First, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to respond. You have provided me with such an intriguing story. I am just thrilled to be able to share it with the readers. “My apologies in advance. I just couldn’t keep my replies short. It is what’s going on behind-the-scenes of the creation.” — Not a problem. I asked for brief answers, so that no part of the interview would be omitted. WPVR Platinum Vibes Radio 's program director, Kevin James, kindly allowed me to post the uncut, unedited